Sunday, January 24, 2010

What can i do while i wait for it to be daylight before hunting?

when waiting for the sun to come upWhat can i do while i wait for it to be daylight before hunting?
To be honest, I used to sit back with a cigarette and a thermos of coffee. This might not be the best thing if you are pursuing a buck of a lifetime. (For the record, I believe smoking in a treestand isn't a bad thing if you are looking to kill anything for meat...I know there is endless debate on the issue. Personally, hunting is one of the few times I smoke and I usually do pretty well. Last year was the first year I got skunked in 15 years)





Given today's technology, I'd probably just bring the I-Pod and a paur of ear phones. Listen to music or if you are in a treestand, watch some downloaded TV or movies.





If you have a cell phone with games, play with that for an hour or two.





If you want to be creative, build yourself a firepit out of a coffee can and make a cooking surface out of some clean metal doweling. Grill yourself breakfast on the stand/blind. (I used to have a fire in my ground blind during rifle season and never had a problem tagging out)





10-15 years ago, you used to be able to buy electonic handheld games that would fit into a pocket (OK a large pocket back then). I'm not sure if such things are still sold, but it may be an idea to buy something like that and turn the sound off.





Now a days, provided I do not have my coffee and a pack of Marlboro Lights, I do what many hunters do. Sit back and enjoy what is around me. If i can't see, I just sit back and work on life's problems. I've solved many problems from a tree stand. Use the time to just sit and think. It can be a tough thing to do if you are young, but it is pretty enjoyable when you are older.





Best of luck to you this year. Happy HuntingWhat can i do while i wait for it to be daylight before hunting?
I too hunt out of a ground blind sometimes. I usually get there about 1 hour before daylight, even in a tree stand I do too.


What I do, when it's barely daylight, long before it's legal to shoot, I'll look around the best I can and see if anything has changed, just as branches, twigs, or sticks down or broken or different than they were before. I'll also go over in my mind different scenarios about where, or what path a deer will take and how best to handle the situation.


Keep in mind, it's just barely daylight so it can be hard to see things, but this is what I do to pass the time before daylight. And just being out there alone in the still with no phones, no TV just the sounds of early morning and nature, nothing better!!
Well I've never done any blind hunting for deer, but when I get out early to sit on a clearcut, I usually try to make as little noise as possible before light. Then if I'm really bored I'll try to get some sleep, but it's hard to sleep sitting on the side of a hill on a hard rock stump if you know what I mean. You should stay attentive though to your surroundings just in case you have a deer walk behind you or something because spooking a deer out of an area can sometimes ruin the rest of the hunt.
Playing with a cell phone or electronics is not good. It spooks deer. The light is very visible in the dark, and is not natural.





Smoking is a no no for the big ones.





And using night vision can get you arrested in CT if you have a gun in the woods after dark.





I don't know what the answer is. I go in and am in my stand 30 to 40 min before sunrise, an drink a coffee. I love that peace full time.


I also have a very busy life, and a half hour of nothingness it aw-some.





I bet you will learn to love it too as you become more experienced.





Good Luck
Well T, I used to wait it out, get bored, cat nap, jack with the heater, ect. For the past two years I get in about a hour before sunrise and break out my night vision goggles. If you want to get a better understanding of white tails watch 'em an hour before sunrise and the hour or two after sunset.
they used to make these rectangular things, with paper inside, and a thicker paper cover, I think they were called ' books ' , they work surprisingly well with the new LED clip on lights for your ball cap. See if you can find one somewhere.
Put your cell phone on vibrate, and play the games on there. It does pass time. I just sit and wait it out. I am to excited to go to sleep. I have been playing games for quite sometime now. Good luck this year.
uhh....wait? that's what hunting is kinda about dude. i used to try to sleep to...till i woke up about 3 inch's from falling 15 feet. then i thought it would be smarter to stay awake. dont get in the woods to early though, hour before sun up is just fine.



You should make yourself familiar with your surroundings. Note any apple trees or clumps of dirt far away that might look like deer. And look for places that a deer might be that you can't see very well.
Clear your mind - meditate, absorb in your mind the surrounding noises and try a discern what the critters are up to.
a hand-held video game w/the sound turned off or bring something like a mp3 player or iPod
play a hand held game w/ no sound


(poker, blackjack, etc.)
sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment