Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Projectile weight for a .222 Hunting Rabbit and Fox?

I have a Tikka .222 Which I want to use for Rabbit and Fox hunting. What Weight projectile should i use? I am a hand loader.Projectile weight for a .222 Hunting Rabbit and Fox?
Joe,





I have shot a lot of small game with .222, and I don't think it is going to matter much because you're going to be blowing them in half. If you're hunting for skins I wouldn't recommend it. A high speed light bullet might even turn a rabbit to pink mist. You are in for some fun experimentation. You might first try a heavier and much slower bullet. Have fun.Projectile weight for a .222 Hunting Rabbit and Fox?
Your rifle will have to answer this question for you. Not all rifle barrels perform the same so you will have experiment with several to find out what your particular firearm shots most accurately, my .223 likes 55 grain match loads the best. A lot of the lighter rounds I tried were just to inconsistent so I just kept trying different loads til I came up with the one that worked best for me so you will just have to try several combination's of bullets and powders, since you reload you should be able to work up something that shoots relatively accurate and consistent in your particular rifle
AS light as you can find....I think about 38-40 grains works well.
Rabbit %26amp; Fox? - 45-55 Gr. is optimal.
Use the 50 grain Pointed Soft Point works best.*

No comments:

Post a Comment